Kingston upon Hull War Memorial 1914 - 1918

The story of Hull in World War One

At the Front


Cpl, Jack Andrews, Royal Engineers, from 75 Eastbourne Street, died of fever in Mesopotamia, aged 27.



Pte, Francis Knaggs, 1st EYR was killed on the 20th September 1914. He died on the same day with seven other Hull men from the 1st East Yorkshires, halting the German advance at the Marne. Casualties continued. Pte, Charles Hodges, 1st EYR, from 8 Buckingham Street was killed on the 18th October 1914, aged 21.


Albert Arksey, MM & Bar, lived at 23 Pulman Street and served for only 10 months. He enlisted in the 3rd East Yorkshires on the 1st November 1917, aged 19. He had won a Military Medal on the 28th June 1918 and had been promoted to Sergeant. He was killed by a sniper on the 6th September 1918, winning his second Military Medal.


Pte, Mark Lockwood, Coldstream Guards, came from Bright Street. He was one of many Professional Soldiers from Hull, despatched with the original British Expeditionary Force. He died at the Marne on the 9th September 1914, halting the German advance.


Pte, William Brook, from Regent Street, aged 18, had served only 9 weeks at the Front before he was killed on 24th August 1915.



Sgt, Ernest Marritt, 11th EYR from 24 Montrose Street, was killed on the 8th November 1917, capturing a machine gun. He received the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions.



Pte, Reginald Gorley was killed while carrying water.


Pte, Raymond Millington, left the Reckitt’s factory in Hull to join the Durham Light Infantry in 1914. He was discharged with a weak ankle, but later rejoined the Army Service Corp in 1915. He was killed by a bomb dropped from an aeroplane on his supply column, on the 1st September 1917. He lived with his parents at 64 Barmston Street. Ray was 26 years old when he died.


Cpl, James Jollands, of the 1/4th EYR, lived at 151 Sculcoates Lane. He had only been abroad for 10 days before he was killed on 5th May 1915.



L/Cpl Arthur Moore died on his 21st Birthday on the 1st July 1916. He had originally joined the Hull Pals as number 122, but was transferred to the Accrington Pals instead. He died with the 11th East Lancashire Battalion, on the first day of the battle of the Somme and is buried at Serre. His parents Arthur and Nora Moore, lived at 62 Freehold Street, Hull, and a Photograph of Arthur Moore appears in the Hull Daily Mail.


Pte, Horace Kirman, from 46 Folkestone Street, was killed by a sniper, rescuing a wounded Officer, at Oppy Wood. He received no medal.


Arthur Mowforth from 40 Louis Street died of wounds in Greece in 1917, aged 21.