Kingston upon Hull War Memorial 1914 - 1918

The story of Hull in World War One

Died at Home

Not all the deaths were on the battlefield. The cemeteries of Hull contain hundreds of First World War casualties. Hull Northern cemetery for example, contains 114 Commonwealth War Graves, Hull Western cemetery conatins another 395. Hedon Road cemetery in East Hull includes 213, World War 1 graves. The churches in Hull and the surrounding towns and villages also contain other graves from the Great War. While most of these are local men, they also include men from other parts of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, who died in the many Hull hospitals set up during the war. Many died at home in training, or accidents, of wounds, illness and influenza. Some while boarding ships and loading cargo. Others were sailors washed ashore or repatriated prisoners who used Hull as the main port of return. Other casulaties buried in Hull do not appear in any war military records, particularly those discharged from the army during the war, or those who died after, before being demobilized.  Similarly, the numbers of Hull servicemen who committed suicide through disillusionment or temporary insanity, or through poverty and general hardship during the post war  'Depression' are another group of forgotten war casualties. They are buried in Hull and are forever linked to this City.


Arthur James Holmes died falling into the dry dock at Hull on 12th November 1915.

Lieutenant, Edward Allen Kitching, RFA 27th Bde., was injured  when dismounting from his horse, he was thrown in front of a lorry. He died at Hull Royal Infirmary on the 8th September 1915, aged 27 years.

2nd L/t, Charles Richard Thornton-Varley, East Riding RGA, from Burnside, Newland Park, was killed on the 25th May 1915 when his motorcycle crashed into some Turnpike Gates. He was 28 years old and is buried in Hull Western Cemetery. (HDM 27/05/1915)

Marine Fireman, Edward Chaplin, of London, who drowned during an air raid alarm on the 27th November 1916. He fell overboard from his ship and was lost in Hull's Albert Dock.  (HDM 17/01/1917)

Cpl, Henry William James, RFA, knocked down in Wellington Street, by a motor bus, while escorting prisoners of war after dark. He died in the Royal Albert Hospital in Woolwich, aged 30. (HDM 2/12/1916)

Sgt, Frank Chalmers, drowned with his girlfriend in a boating accident on the River Don, on the 6th July 1917.

Thomas Pearson Taylor, was shot by a sentry at Saltburn on 21 August 1914. He died aged 32. He was son of Alderman, Thomas Shemeld Taylor, Cleveland Villas, Southcoates Lane and prominent laundry businessman.

Regimental Sergeant Major, William Brown, DCM, 1st Royal Dragoons, died of a liver infection at Beverley, on 24th August 1914. He had served in the Boer War and is buried at St Martin's church in Beverley.

Drill Sergeant, Edgar John Gardiner, from Clifton Street, died of heart failure, at Hedon Racecourse, on 20th August 1914, aged 52.

Steward, Albert Dodd, from the steam ship 'Potamac' fell over board and died in Alexandra Dock, aged 28. (Hull Times 13/03/1915)

James Herbert Dawson, from Summergangs Road, died falling of the pier at Petershead in 1915.

Skipper, William Valentine Manthorpe, of the Hull Tugbaot 'Linesman' fell in the dock basin and drownedaged 43. He lived at 3 Lily's Grove, Subway Street (Hull Times 13/03/1915)

Thomas Craven, from 2 Eastbourne Street, fell overboard the 'Viola', and drowned on 21st November 1914.

Captain, Charles Henry Newport, of the steamship 'Sodium' fell overboard and drowned in Ipswich in 1915. He lived at 4 Devon Terrace, Burleigh Street.


Died of Wounds

Private, John Henry Brown, EYR Depot, died of Tuberculosis at home aged 29. He was the Son of William & Mary Elizabeth Brown from Dansom Lane. His younger brother James had been killed in 1916.

Pte, George William Robinson, Royal Engineers, from 60 Ella Street, died of gas poisoning on the 30th June 1918.

Private, SidneyJack from 1 Whitedale, Airlie Street, was gassed at Ypres in 1915 and discharged from the army on the 1st March 1916. He eventually died of his wounds on the 1st January 1919, aged 23.

Private, Fred Fisher, from the 13th EYR was discharged from the army due to gas wounds. He died on the 25th January 1921 aged 25 and is buried in Hull Western Cemetery.

Corporal, Charles Woodcock, 10th EYR, from 46 Welsted Street, died of gas wounds in 1921 and is buried in Hunmanby.

Private, James Hall, 8th EYR, died at Nottingham Military Hospital on the 29th March 1916. He had been repatriated back to England after suffering from 'Trench Foot' in both feet and died from gangarene and tetnus. A former foundry worker, he lived with his wife Alice and three sons at Westmoreland Street. He is buried at Hedon Road cemetery.


Pte, Thomas Adams, a printer, enlisted in the 10th Hull Pals. He died shortly after of a brain fever on the 18th September 1914. He was 30 years old, lived at 10 Greek Street and is buried in Hull Western Cemetery


Rifleman, George William Harbron, was killed in action on the 6th June 1916, aged 20. He had served in France for 12 months and just returned from home leave. Within 24 hours he was killed by a shell burst in the trench. He was a former employee of the British Oil Cake Mills in Wincolmlee and lived in Dansom Lane. His parents were Charles William & Elizabeth Harbron, from 1 Louisa Terrace, Hume Steet. His Photograph can be seen in the Hull Daily Mail 27/6/16.


Private, Ernest Barrass, who before the war had run the ‘Coach & Horses’ pub in Myton gate, died of gas wounds in Warrington on the 5th September 1919. He is buried in Hedon Road Cemetery.


Pte, Charles Arthur Lockton, of the Northumberland Fusiliers, had been diagnosed as ‘mentally unfit’ on the 15th May 1917. He was finally discharged from the Army on the 24th April 1918. He died in an asylum, aged 38, on the 13th November 1918, two days after the war ended. His wife Clara, who lived at 14 William Street, included his name on the Walker Street Memorial.


Sydney Herbert Cook, from 4 Baker Street had survived the sinking of HMS Cook on 15th August 1918. He died of severe burns in Harwich Hospital on the 20th August 1918.

Miscellaneous Deaths

Not all deaths were a result of active service. The Hull Daily Mail reported a number of miscellaneous local deaths over the course of the war. These include;-

Private, William Holtby Habbershaw, 11th KOYLI, who died choking on his false teeth (HDM 7/11/1915).

Private, Arthur Herbert Smith, 5th EYR, drowned on his 24th Birthday, while swimming at Withernsea, on the 17/08/1915.

Private, John William Milner, of the 3rd EYR, died in mysterious circumstances on the 5/12/1914. He had fallen from a balcony and impaled himself on the railings beneath. The Coroner recorded an ‘Open Verdict’. He was 38 years old and buried in Hull Western Cemetery. His wife Hannah Maria Milner who he had married in 1899, lived at 5 Ash Grove, Brighton Street, Hull.

Private, Albert Williamson, Northumberland Fusiliers, died falling from the Hull to York train, near Cottingham on the 23rd November 1916. He is buried in Hull Northern Cemetery. He left a widow Charlotte Williamson, at 3 Percy Cottages, Mayfield Street.

Private, George Frederick Williamson, died on leave, from mushrooom poisoning, on the 26th November 1916. He was aged 20 and is buried at Hull Western Cemetery.


Dalton Brothers

Pte, Thomas Dalton, 1/4th EYR, died on the 6th May 1917, searching for his wounded brother Percy Dalton. It was later discovered that Percy had been captured, and had died a week earlier of wounds, after his left leg was amputated. Within a fortnight, Herbert and Mary Ann Dalton and lost both sons.


Pte, Walter Murray, had worked at Reckitt’s since 1900 before enlisting. He was killed when his rifle accidentally discharged and is buried at Ypres. He lived at 93 St Georges Road and was 37 years old.

Deaths during Training

Driver, Charles Milson, from Arundle Street, died during training in 1915 and is buried in Wiltshire.

Sgt, Henry Hill, MM, 11th EYR, from 9 Berkshire Street, was killed in a Trench Mortar accident.

L/Cpl., George Leonard McKee, 2nd Coldstream Guards, was accidentally killed, during bomb throwing instruction on the 8th October 1915.

Gunner, Albert Powley, Royal Garrison Artillery, was accidentally killed while handling ammunition. He was 32 years old, and left a widow at 37 Steynburg Street.

Able Seaman, Ivor Francis King, was killed when HMS 'Brisk', exploded in port, on the 2nd October 1917. He was 28 years old and left a wife and children at Rosamond Street.

John William Benson, a Royal Navy Engineer, from Hessle Road, died when his ship HMS ‘Glatton,’ exploded in Dover Harbour on 16th September 1918.


Pte, Arthur North, from Walker Street, died of Gas poisoning on the 26th June 1916. He had received these wounds three weeks earlier on the 4th June. He had joined the 10th Hull Pals and was 26 years old.